I was born in Jaffna, northern Srilanka. After completing my schooling , I went to Russia in 1994 to the prestigious Tver Medical Academy to read Medicine.
I obtained an invaluable classical (old school) medical education and a vast amount of personal experience that have helped me mature as a dedicated, hardworking and compassionate doctor.
While in med school, I was amazed at the wealth of Russian literature and decided to complete my second degree in Teaching Russian as a Foreign Language with Distinction.
After completing my primary Medical degree in 2001, I decided to come to England and pursue higher Medical training.
Between 2002 and 2005 I worked in General Medicine, Surgery, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Emergency Medicine, Palliative care, Psychiatry and General Practice.
In 2006, I became a General Practitioner while pursuing Sports Medicine as a special interest. After nearly 7 years as a GP in Greenwich I decided to pursue Sports Medicine as my main speciality and was accepted into the Sport and Exercise Medicine higher specialist training program in 2013. I was trained in the East of England Deanery and completed the program in 2017.
I was appointed as a Consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine at the Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine Service in Colchester.
Over the years, I have worked in multiple elite sporting disciplines.
Highlights of my career so far have been working as a sports doctor in:
1. 2012 London Olympics at the Wembley Arena and the Athletes Village Sports Centre
2. 2018 Glasgow European Championships
3. England Women's Under 20 & 23 team doctor (2015-2018)
Education & Training
Doctor of Medicine
Tver State Medical Academy, Russia
Master of Science in Sport and Exercise Medicine, University College London
Specialist training in Sport and Exercise Medicine, Cambridge Hospital & Ipswich Hospital
Diploma in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound, Bournemouth University
Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine, UK
Research & Publications
- 2018, PRP injections in Knee Osteoarthritis -
1. Observational study of the efficacy of PRP injections in advanced knee osteoarthritis.
Department of Sports and Musculoskeletal Medicine, Colchester.
- 2014, Exercise and Sports Related Injury -
3. Co-author of the study “Exercise and sports related injury and non-injury morbidities presented to an UK A&E department” which examined the incidence of exercise and sport related cardiovascular events in patients presenting to the local emergency Department.
- 2017, Physical Activity -
2. Co-author “Physical Activity Needs Assessment” for Public Health Suffolk https://www.healthysuffolk.org.uk/uploads/2017-10-12_Needs_assessment_Final.pdf
- 2012, Achilles Tendiopathy -
4. Master’s degree research project in Sport and Exercise Medicine centered on a “New high load low volume eccentric exercise training program for chronic mid portion Achilles tendinopathy” (University College London Hospital)
Previous experience as sports physician in elite Sport
Lead Consultant for the Aquatic events at the European Championships (Glasgow)
Sports Physician London 2012 Olympics
Team Physician for the English FA Women’s U20 & 23
Lead Consultant for British University and College Sports (BUCS) Gymnastics , Trampolining, Diving and Athletics Championships
Eastbourne Tennis Tournament Mens ATP tour doctor
English Premiership and Championship division Football (Ipswich Town and Norwich City)
IAAF Diamond League Games (Birmingham) Sports doctor for international athletes
Medical officer for Cambridge University Rugby and Rowing Clubs
Sports Physician British Indoor Rowing Championship
Sports Physician for the “Virgin STRIVE Endurance Challenge”
Sports Physician at the London Triathlon and London Half Marathon
Team Physician for the Ipswich basketball team